Wednesday 23 March 2011

Life on Wheels


I have made a little carpeted piece of MDF on wheels! The idea is a sort of mini installation which can be moved around as and when the person chooses. It can be used to store their items and then can be pulled along or can be used as a place to sit/eat/sleep. Obviously, this all relates back to my 'flat pack/portable home' idea and I thought it would be a good idea to do a smaller scale version as a test run. Also, to check any areas which are of importance to me and will need improvement. I found with this particular test, a handle on on of the ends would have been a good solution to dragging it along, also bigger wheels would have helped this too.

Anyway, yesterday I took my board on wheels on a little tour of where I live to see how it adapted to it's surroundings and how it worked on location. Initially, a park which I think is appropriate as often a bench is a sleeping area for some people. I then tried it outside a stately home, more as an ironic idea than anything else. Each photo, I used the same furniture, including my 'home sweet home' and 'home what home?' cushions just a quick subtle reminder to people what it is I am trying to achieve.

Overall, I am pleased with my results. I would next like to try it in a few more locations and also try furniture such as a table and chairs for eating. I think the text on my cushions could be bolder for these particular shots, so that may be an area I work on next.

No comments:

Post a Comment